Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Welcome to the New Age.

Out with the old, in with the OMMM.
I received some unexpected baby free time from my sweet hubs today with which, I was specifically instructed NOT to use to clean the house. So even though it was mid-day & disgustingly humid out, I went for a run. This was my third post baby run. That puts me at an average of 1 run per month since having EGP. And you know what? It was one of the BEST runs of my life. About a half mile into the run, I hit a little downhill slope, my stride opened up & this song came on my iPod:


"I'm wakin up! I feel it in my bones. Enough to make my system blow. Welcome to the new age, to the new age. Welcome to the new age, to the new age." 
-- Imagine Dragons, Radioactive

I felt so effin' bad ass. Like I could run for days. It was at that point that I let go of any attachment to time, pace, or distance. I let the music & my breath carry me through my run (which, was a whopping 2.5 miles). My pre-baby self would have been super pissed that I wasn't running at least a 6 minute mile or covering a minimum of 3 miles. But this Ommm Mama felt SO good not having to run against any of those self-imposed obstacles & instead allowed myself self to revel in the freedom that comes with running for the sake of running. It was a run of quality, not quantity. I'll get back to race pace & cover longer distances, eventually. In the meantime, it's helpful to keep reminding myself that every great accomplishment starts with an intention & some wobbly first stepsRunning, motherhood, work, life can all become 100 times more enJOYable when we let go of our attachment to the end result & instead tackle whatever task, project, or challenge is laying before us with the most honest, whole-hearted effort we can give in that moment. 

"As the mind, so the man; bondage or liberation are in your own mind. If you feel bound, you are bound. If you feel liberated, you are liberated. Things outside neither bind nor liberate you; only your attitude toward them does that." -- The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali, Translation and Commentary by Sri Swami Satchidananda, 1978.

No comments:

Post a Comment